Graphics Enabled!

After returning the graphics kexts to /S/L/E (see the last post), and repairing kext permissions as well as making the plist edits, rebooted with nothing except -v in case anything happened.

I tested Quartz by trying to place a dashboard widget. If you see the ripple effect when you drop the widget into place, then you have Quartz enabled. The "Chess" test is not so reliable, as I have found that I was still able to run it.

I also successfully tested video playback using VLC. Definitely have graphics accelleration. 1080p playback on the 1280x800 monitor was smooth and flawless.

Expose is smoother than on the Macbook, which—provided that graphics accelleration is actually working—is to be expected when this machine has a Radeon HD 4870 1024MB and my Macbook has the Intel GMA 950.

I've created a fresh backup with Carbon Copy Cloner (hereafter referred to as 'CCC') and saved it to an HFS+ partition on my 1.5TB drive, my Windows 7 drive, which I'm not planning on messing with any more, other than to save my backup images.

However, I have two 2.5" SATA drives, both previous drives from my Macbook. Having cleared all important data off of one, I went ahead and reformatted it, using a MBR table, and creating a 20GB partition at the beginning of the disk. I then restored the image I just made with my graphics accelleration working.

But also, since this is a fresh disc, I wanted to go ahead and try to get Chameleon working if possible, so I can remove the Kingston iPortable USB drive from this process. Even the minuscule bootloader is obviously loading slower than usual!

So here's how I did that:

  1. Formatted the disk with a MBR (see earlier posts)
  2. Downloaded Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin from http://chameleon.osx86.hu
  3. Used the instructions in the "doc" folder to install from terminal. You'll want to run "diskutil list" from the command line to see what the BSD name of your disk is. If you booted OS X from the same volume you want to install Chameleon on, then it will probably be disk0, but do check for yourself!

So now I will restart from the restored image, and see if I can boot without the USB drive.

So cool to see that it worked on the first try! (minus the kernel panic, I guess :)

0 comments: Post a Comment