Run DSDT Patcher GUI, turn on "Force Compile", "New HPET Option", and "Apply DSDT Patch to:" the iPortable USB drive, which is your main volume right now.
Run the permissions repair script at:
/Applications/OSx86Tools/Repair\ \&\ Set\ Permissions\ scripts/pfix\ \(snow\)
It looks weird because of all the backslashes needed to precede all the spaces and parentheses.
Actually, running the pfix script is for when you're not able to get all the way into the OS GUI. But no harm done. I'll go ahead and do it again the GUI way: with "Kext Utility" (in /Applications/OSX86 Apps)
-- Kext Utility x64 for MAC OS X --
v2.4.2 © cVad 2009.
- Repairer kexts permissions -
- mkext Packer/UnPacker -
- kexts Installer -
www.applelife.ru
www.torrentmac.ru
ProductName : Mac OS X ProductVersion: 10.6.2 BuildVersion: 10C540
Bootargs : boot-uuid=CBA32637-213B-3748-BAB7-B917E541B79B rd=*uuid arch=i386 -v -f -x PciRoot=0
Kernel : Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Mon Oct 12 04:06:05 AST 2009
Model ID : MacPro3,1 KernelMode: i386
CPU TYPE : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Core : 3000MHz Bus: 333MHz FSB: 1332MHz
CPU ID : Ox1067A (67194) Cache L2: 6Mb
RAM : 4096Mb HibernateMode: 0
SwapUsage : total = 64.00M used = 0.00M free = 64.00M
User : salvin on Falcor.local
Start working: Wed Apr 21 01:38:23 EDT 2010
Detected ... MAC OS X "Snow Leopard".
Task: Full service for "/System/Library/Extensions"
and "/Extra/Extensions" folders.
Repair Permissions for "/System/Library/Extensions" ............... Done.
-- Total processed: 4847 files (322 kexts) for 42 sec.
Updating "Snow Leopard" system caches ......... Done.
-- Build time = 13sec.
Search "/Extra/Extensions/" folder ... Found.
Task: Pack "/Extra/Extensions"
to "/Extra/Extensions.mkext"
Repair Permissions for "/Extra/Extensions" .... Done.
-- Total processed: 463 files (40 kexts) for 3 sec.
BackUp "Extensions.mkext" to "Extensions.bak.mkext" ... Done.
Found i386 (arch) only kext(s).
Packing i386 (arch) "Extensions.mkext" ... Done.
-- Build time = 0 sec.
Repair "Extensions.mkext" permission ... Done.
Syncing disk cache ... Done.
All done.
Have a nice ... day(night)
Enjoy ...
Then reboot (and cross your fingers!)
And it hung on the first try. Could have been a couple of things, including the fact that I didn't have a keyboard plugged in, but there's no way of really knowing since I also didn't select the -v (verbose) option.
Tried again, explicitly picked the iPortable volume to boot from by moving over to another volume with the arrow keys and then back to iPortable. Boot flags were as follows:
boot: -v PciRoot=0
NOTE: The iPortable comes configured with PciRoot set to 1 in the Boot.plist file, but it still boots since we start out in safe mode. I will rectify to Boot.plist settings next. However, in the interest of keeping track of working states, I will go ahead and do the image first.
I've decided to shut down iPortable and put the USB drive into my Macbook, where I can take advantage of iPortable not having to make an exact copy of itself while it's running as the main volume. It should be easier that way. Also, It will be easier to save the resulting image on the Macbook's drive.
You don't want to try to save a backup image of an Mac partition that is formatted to, say, HFS+, onto an NTFS (Windows) volume. You will have all kinds of issues.
Okay, so I've got Falcor booted back up in my reactivated Windows 7 drive. I will turn in for the night, but probably get the image backup going first, so that I can see about clearing up a partition on one of the volumes for this image.
Since I have three different SATA drives, it occurs to me to use the two 2.5" drives as a RAID 0 array. both drives are 5400 rpm, which is fairly slow. Together as a RAID 0 array, they could probably feel like a 10,000 rpm drive, which would be a LOT nicer, especially when compiling in Xcode and using Yep or searching in Spotlight. But I will definitely worry about getting the hardware kinks out first before migrating to such a setup.