Bizarre Love Triangle, pt. 1

I must say that, other than to my fiancee, I have never admitted this to anyone else (especially not anyone who would actually care! ....*deep breath*...I really like Windows 7. Truth be told, I would take it over Tiger any day, and there are only a few reasons why I would use either Leo or Snow Leo every day as opposed to the latest offering from Redmond. In stream-of-consciousness order:


EXPOSÉ: *shrugs* If your PC can handle Aero, all you need to do is download Switcher 2 by Bao Nguyen.
SPOTLIGHT: I gotta tell ya, the once might leverage of HFS+ and Spotlight is starting to lose it's luster in the face of Instant Search on Windows 7. I did have to go download the PDF iFilter so that I could index my PDFs' contents. And when I do actually find the text matches, it's a shameful pain-in-the-ass to actually get to that text. Without something as beautiful as the combination of Quick View and Preview, Spotlight wins by a nose. By a freakin' unibrow hair, man. ....BUT!!...
GARAGEBAND: ...and when Apple does something right, it's a downright marvel. A gorgeous spectacle of form and function. An interactive work of art that grows and pulsates, giving birth to little baby works of art. Pretty cool, huh? :)
What really gets me is that it's just thrown in there, for FREE. Included when you buy a Mac. Microsoft tosses you an "MS Paint", or a "Hyperterminal"; Apple gives you a fully functional audio production app complete with excellent drum kit sound libraries and guitar amp simulators. Okay, I'm wiping the fanboy foam off my lips now ;)
PREVIEW: Yeah, that's right. You heard me. Preview.app. Look, I'm going to be straight with you. If I could use a cracked copy of the fanciest, most Pro-Premium-Enterprise-Platinum 2025 DARPA-issue edition of Acrobat and have a better PDF reading, searching and bookmarking experience. I'd do it... I don't care who made it! If I could have the same experience—or even reasonably close—with something like Sumatra or Foxit, I'd be there. I'm all about freeware alternatives, and also certainly dig the FOSS movement, but not if it means I have to fight all day long against one of the most constantly used of my applications. Give me a viewer in Windows that loads that quickly, let's me search as I type, moves as smoothly and renders both content and annotation graphics, and I'll give you one less reason I make sure to keep them snow kitties around!
Sigh... to be continued :P

0 comments: Post a Comment