First edit to apple.com.Boot.plist

For the first edits to the version that comes with the iPortable USB image, I changed the following (highlighted stuff).






EthernetBuiltIn
y
Graphics Mode
1280x800x32
Kernel
chocolate_kernel
Kernel Flags
arch=i386 PciRoot=0
Timeout
5




So basically I just changed the "Graphics Mode" to match the screen I currently have connected to the machine, but most importantly, I added "PciRoot=0", to match my configuration.

I will test the use of the vanilla kernel, 'mach_kernel', which I have not seemed to have a problem with. It is suggested to use it unless your processor is not supported. Also, I'm going to go ahead and change the architecture to x86/64 by replacing "arch=i386" (32-bit), to "arch=x86_64".

A replacement .plist is included here:

/Hackintosh tools/Snow Drivers/Video Drivers/Removed Video Kexts/com.apple.Boot.plist
However, I'm not going to use that one. It would be nice if you could simply edit the .plist from where it is located, but you have to use the 'sudo' command from terminal in order to do that. Therefore, I just use the nano text editor which is available from the terminal. Just enter "sudo nano" and the path.


For example:

  1. Open Terminal
  2. Type 'sudo nano' and a space
  3. Enter a forwardslash (the one next to the right-side Shift key on an ANSI US keyboard and an uppercase 'E'. Now, you should be able to press tab, which tells Terminal that you want it to guess what the rest of the path is, based on what you typed so far, against the possible paths. Since we know that so far, there is only one directory in the root that starts with an upper-case E, it will finish it for you.
  4. Enter another forwardslash, and another 'c' or 'co' should do it. Hit tab again and it'll finish the whole pathname for the .plist file. If so, press Enter.
  5. You'll be asked for the root password, which is the same as your password in OS X. If you run this command again right after this session, it might not even ask you again. But if you wait too long or close Terminal and open a new session later, it will once again make sure you have permission to do this.
Otherwise, just copy the .plist to the Desktop, use the Property List Editor included with iPortable, and then drag it back to /Extra, and Finder will ask you for your password. Same result either way.

Okay, graphics!

0 comments: Post a Comment