Fine-Tuning Methodology

I just ran the first successful boot of a volume restored from an image. This was without any flag at boot (except for '-v', just because I wanted to see what was going on, but nothing to change what was happening).

I used Carbon Copy Cloner 3.3 this time, as opposed to the first time, when I used CopyCat, which is the same app used in the guide.

The main reason I switched to Carbon Copy is because it has an incremental backup option. This will be valuable, as I will likely want to do new backups every time I am about to do something even remotely risky.

Also I really don't like CopyCat's interface. It deviates from the natural OS X style in bad ways. For example, say you want to cancel the current action. So you click 'Cancel'. Then it asks you if you're sure, but the buttons provided are "OK' and "Cancel", which is confusing. What if I click "Cancel" at this point? Will it think I mean "Yes, I'm sure. Cancel!" or "No, I'm not sure. Cancel the 'Cancel'". Worse yet, what if clicking 'Cancel' in the first place was an accident? What if continuing with the cancellation is going to cause damage? Epic design fail on the part of SubRosaSoft.

Don't deviate from what the masters of interface design do, for gods sakes, unless you plan on doing it even better ;)

And now that I'm done with that little rant, here's how I'll proceed in terms of adjustments and backups:


  1. First, I'll do an incremental backup to save the few adjustments I've done so far.
  2. Follow the instructions in /Hackintosh tools/Snow Drivers/Video Drivers. Here are those instructions, which I've cleaned up a little bit (mispellings and minor formatting issues). The highlights and italics indicate my notes regarding my specific build:
    1. Remove framebufferdisabler.kext from /Extra/Extensions/.. and System/Library/Extensions.. folders In case you were wondering: I didn't see this kext in the S/L/E folder, either
    2. Unzip RemovedGraphicsKexts.zip and move all .kept .kext files to /System/Library/Extensions Note: corrected misspelling on "kext", which really threw me off the first time! ALSO, MOVE ONLY THE KEXTS, NOT THE FOLDER WITH THE KEXTS IN IT.

      SO, QUICK NOTE HERE: I've actually had issues with this method a couple of times. I had forgotten about the first time this happened, actually.
      OS X doesn't always like it when you're just moving moving kexts into its /S/L/E (I'll just point out one last time: that's just shorthand for the /System/Library/Extensions). After about 20 seconds, it started giving me alert windows for a lot of the kexts (maybe all of them), saying that it couldn't use them. Then, as I was trying to run Kext Utility, hoping to fix the issues (mainly permissions issues, from what I understand, and ownership), I got a kernel panic.
      Also—not at all to my surprise—it panicked again when I tried to reboot, since the kexts are still in there and I wasn't able to do anything before had hung.

      So I hope this doesn't happen to you, but if it does happen, do the following steps and you're done (meaning, this is a replacement for steps 3-8):
      1. Reset the crashed computer and at the Chameleon boot screen use "-v -x -s" to boot in    safe mode (-v does that) with command line only (-s stands for 'single-user mode')
      2. Enter the following command to mount the drive so you can go in and do stuff:

        /sbin/mount -uw /
      3. Run the script called 'pfix (snow)'. The command looks gnarly because all of the spaces and some characters have to have a backslash in front of them for the command line to accept them. This is called 'escape characters', because you are bypassing—escaping out of—the default meaning these characters have in the shell environment's syntax. So these commands go to the directory where the script is, then run the script. You can use that Tab key technique; it'll always save a lot of time.

        cd /Applications/OSx86Tools/Repair\ \&\ Set\ Permissions\ scripts/
        ./pfix\ \(snow\)

        QUICK NOTE: the 'sudo' command isn't necessary here, because in this mode we are already using the root account, which is the 'superuser' ('sudo' actually stands for "superuser do", not 'pseudo', as some knucklehead had once told me XD). So FYI, if you use this script in Terminal while you're logged in as yourself, you need to use sudo.
      4. Now we're going to go ahead and use nano to edit the plist from here. Again, normally you would use sudo in front of the command below:









        nano /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist
      5. Go ahead and change "chocolate_kernel" to "mach_kernel", which my Core 2 Quad (the Q9550) runs just fine.
      6. Change "arch=i386" to "arch=x86_64" in the 'Kernel Flags' entry.
      7. I assume here that you already changed "PciRoot=1" to "PciRoot=0" per my other post regarding editing plist files. If you haven't done that, do that, unless 1 works for you.
      8. Add a new key + string pair to use the graphics enabler:

        <key>GraphicsEnabler<\key>
        <string>y</string>

      9. Press Control-X (as shown on the bottom of the interface in nano) to exit. It will want you to choose whether you want to save your changes, and also to confirm what filename to use. So you press 'y' first, and then just enter since we want to save to the same filename we opened.

    3. Repair permissions with Kext Utility.
    4. Remove com.apple.Boot.plist from /Extra folder on root partition.
    5. Replace with /Hackintosh tools/Snow Drivers/com.apple.Boot.plist
    6. You may have to remove also bootflag: arch=i386 from com.apple.boot.plist in extra folder... 
    7. If this fails to work initially try changing "PciRoot=1" to "PciRoot=0" in the com.apple.Boot.plist
    8. reboot
  3. Assuming reboot is successful create another incremental backup. Keep in mind that you should save the backup to another drive. For two reasons:
    1. If the drive in question fails, you don't want the backup to be lost, too.
    2. Backup goes a lot faster if the backup utility can read from one drive while it writes to the other.
  4. Proceed with P5Q specific kexts, per the guide here:
    http://rgwoehr.wordpress.com/2010/01/30/hackintosh-p5q-pro-turbo/
    Downloading the kexts at the end of the post was kind of a pain, so here they are in one .zip file:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?timfnmzmwnb
  5. Assuming reboot is successful, run another incremental backup.

0 comments: Post a Comment